NJ State Police SORA Information
Candidates for certification must apply on-line, at the New Jersey State Police website (https://eapps.njsp.org/applicant/logon.do). Please make sure to have a credit card or debit card available before applying, as there is a $75 application fee. There are three costs associated with certification: the application fee, the fingerprint fee, and the course tuition.
We recommend you check our class schedules before applying for certification - we hold the initial 24 hour class approximately every three weeks to fit into everyone's 30 day window. Class fees are posted with the dates and times.
Once you get confirmation of your application, you will need to print your temporary certificate and your fingerprint form. You can then go on-line to schedule your fingerprint appointment with Sagem Morpho (https://nj.ibtfingerprint.com - again, you need a credit or debit card in order to make your appointment), and you can also register for class here at AFI. Since there may be a 2-3 week wait for your fingerprinting appointment, it's recommended that you make the appointment as soon as possible. It does not matter whether you get fingerprinted first or take the course first, as long as you complete both procedures within the 30 day period. If you don't, your application may be withdrawn, and you'll have to pay another $75 for a new temporary number. You won't be able to print a new certificate, and you will not be permitted to work until you get your certification card in the mail.
Once certification has been granted, it is portable- it belongs to the security officer, like a driver's license, and the certification card will be mailed to the address entered on the security officer's certification application.
Note For Employers
The Certified Security Officer Registry will list certified officers by name, certification number and expiration date only.
- It will not provide employment histories on the officer.
- It is still up to the prospective employer to conduct a background check and verify the information listed on the employment application.
Like Sagem Morpho, Certified Instructors must verify each person's identity. This can be verified through presentation of any of the following:
- A valid photo identification with a valid expiration date (an out of state Driver’s License is acceptable);
- An expired New Jersey photo drivers license in combination with a current non - photo license,
- AND temporary certificate of registration as a security officer.
The following are also acceptable forms of identification:
- US Passport or Alien Registration card with foreign passport
- Photo ID issued by any Federal, State, or Municipal Government